Congratulations! You have chosen to make an investment in your smile. Follow these recommendations so that you may enjoy your new smile for years to come.
- Brush twice a day for at least 2 minutes.
- A mechanical or ultrasonic brush, such as Sonicare, will help you to adequately remove plaque and bacteria. In addition, most electric brushes have a timer that assists you in brushing for a full 2 minutes.
- Floss under your implant bridge at least once a day.
- Make sure that you insert your Superfloss under and in-between each implant area.
- Wrap the floss around each implant and move it up and down to loosen and remove food and bacteria. Use a new section of floss for each implant.
- Waterpicks and Sonicare AirFloss are helpful to flush a “hard to reach” areas under your implants.
- You may use Listerine as a daily mouth rinse.
- Avoid any rinse or dental dentifrice with hydrogen peroxide as it will react with the titanium and discolor your restorations.
- Prescription strength fluoride can prevent gum inflammation caused by bacteria.
- You should have a dental cleaning every 6 months.
- At least once per year you will have an exam with Dr. Morgan. Please call our office at any time if you are experiencing any tooth or jaw problem or wish to see Dr. Morgan. We are here to help.
- Clenching and grinding exerts pressure that can be generated across the teeth that can range from 100 to 600 psi (pounds per square inch). That incredible amount of force can cause many different problems related to your gums and jaw.
- An occlusal guard is an appliance designed from dental models of your teeth and made of a rigid plastic. It prevents the teeth from coming together while sleeping at night. It also provides a guide for your jaw so that muscles can relax and bite problems will not trigger the bruxing action.
Want to learn more? See Dentures.